Wednesday, February 11, 2009

An awesome bedtime story

A most awesome bedtime story reading occurred in Kiddo's room a little while ago. This was the book read:



It was one of my favorite books when I was a kid, but that's not why it made for such an awesome bedtime story. Neither was the fact that the book's subject was snow when, in fact, it was warm enough outside today to melt all but the most stubborn remnants of our snowpack, and even a good portion of the ice on the pond. Nope, the thing that made tonight's awesome bedtime story so dang awesome was the reader. It wasn't me, it wasn't Hubby, it was Kiddo.

Yep. Kiddo read me the book. (Well, technically, she was reading it to Ectobert and Cloudy, the two members of her SAE - that'd be the Stuffed Animal Entourage - who chose tonight's selection. I mean, she read it to "all the guys" and Mommy, too, but it was for Ectobert and Cloudy. Daddy heard it from the hall outside her room where he was busily painting, too.) She read all 60-something pages of it, with only two words hanging her up (one was know as she didn't know about the whole silent K thing, and the other was another - I totally thought appetite would trip her up but nope, she sounded that one right out). She really, truly read the book.

It was awesome. Best. Storytime. Ever!!

16 comments:

Andy said...

That is so cool!!! It really is a great feeling when they "get" something, isn't?

Givinya De Elba said...

She is a champion! Sonny is only reading by memory at the moment, but it gives a mother such a buzz to hear all that independent language stuff going on in their heads!

Unknown said...

i remember reading that book to my kids!! how cool she read it to you!!! congrats!

Paige said...

Do you think you will ever forget this one?

WheresMyAngels said...

I saw your twitter about that! Woo Hoo! Great news!

Gretchen said...

We have that book too! The copy we have is the one that was actually read to ME as a child, so it's all the more precious.

YEAH to you & kiddo. SOunds like school is turning out okay?

My little Linus isn't doing too hot in the reading department yet. I am starting to obsess. I can't help it.

Elisabeth said...

That is awesome! It is just amazing to watch them figure it out and put all the years of learning and testing together.

I can slightly identify with how proud you are feeling right now--I helped to teach the twins I nannied for how to read. They each had their strengths, but once it finally came together, they couldn't get enough. I know when they were this age, they loved it when I read aloud books from the Junie B. Jones series...eventually we'd take turns reading sentences and paragraphs. The only hang-up I have with Barbara Parks awesome books is that they teach bad grammar--but they are funny.

nikkicrumpet said...

Very Cool....now she can read to you while you fall asleep on her pillow. That seems fair!

Tiffany said...

That is so cool! I've not had any early readers and one of my sons really struggles with dyslexia. I know how much hearing them read means! So cool!

Jennifer said...

Wow--good for her!! That looks like a cute book--I haven't heard of it before, but I love PD Eastman.

Anonymous said...

OH DARLING FRIEND OF MINE!!!!

please tell me you're OK (as well as everyone else there) and nowhere near that horrible plane crash!

Unknown said...

Go Kiddo- that is such fabulous news, I know you are bursting with pride!!!

Mammatalk said...

What a wonderful moment! How exciting. I am so looking forward to that moment myself. It may come soon. My preschooler amazes me.

Cristin said...

Awww! That's awesome!

And Ectobert? Best. Name. Ever.

Ronnica said...

That's awesome...what an accomplishment! She'll be devouring chapter books in no time!

Anonymous said...

i teach grade 1 and watching the little ones learn to read is alway a joy! it truly does open up the world to them in a way that they never before imagined. here's to many more nights of listening to stories being read to the SAE!!!!

olwyn