Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Major Crisis of Epic Proportions

HELP! It's a major crisis of epic proportions:

I might cut all my hair off again!

I'm really, really feeling strongly like I should just give up on the whole "growing it out" thing and just go back to a short(er), Mom 'do.

I want something sassy.



Something chic.



Something hip.



Something cute.



Problem is, my hair just. Doesn't. DO THAT. Not without major fussing.

And that, my friends, is the major issue. I want short, sassy, chic, hip and cute hair without having to do anything to it to get it that way. Or, not to have to spend more than, say, 5-10 minutes maximum to get it that way. AND, once I do get it that way, I'd like for it to stay that way. Because remember this hair?



Yeah, here's the thing about this particular look. Within a few hours, and despite the generous application of gobs and sprays and spritzes of hair products designed to keep follicles from frizzing or flying away or even thinking of moving, my hair was back to Wolverine Fawcett Van Beethoven.

ARGH!!!!

So here are some pictures of my hair at present. Let's call these the Before Pics, mmmkay?

Front:


Back/side:


(Please also note the wall of boxes in the background of the top picture; those are the 34 boxes I collected from the friendly and accommodating liquor store earlier today. They've become our own, personal Mt. Everest for both Kiddo and Crazy Cat. I'm amazed the wall is still standing at this point...)

So, you see what my hair does when left to its own devices? See how it wings this way and that, curling at just the bottom in weird, opposing directions? This is the end result of washing, conditioning, towel-drying, anti-frizz seruming and combing, then letting it dry naturally. Not. Pretty. At. All.

*sigh*

Tomorrow, my plan is to go and get my hair cut. At the very least, I need to get it trimmed, to de-split-endify and get my bangs back in their official neighborhood (that being just north of my eyebrows). I can't get rid of my bangs entirely - my hairline at the front is weird and not pretty and I hate my forehead. So, bangs in some form shall stay. (I learned this lesson the last time I grew my hair out, when I grew out my bangs for like 2 years and when they'd FINALLY reached a length that I no longer actually had any more bangs, I promptly marched into my hair salon and had her cut them back in, breathing huge sighs of relief as she did.) If I could achieve one of the cute-n-sassy, short cuts, that wouldn't require crazy upkeep and daily maintenance, I would do it, at this point, I think... But then, there's a whole year (actually, 15 months!) of suffering through the growing-out hell hair that I've done, all down the drain in one, fell cut. Would I regret giving up after perservering for so long? Maybe...

So, dear blogosphere friends (and random strangers who happen across this post), what do you think I should do? Please keep in mind that whatever hair I come up with has to flatter (as best it can - I realize it is just hair after all, and not a full-head plastic surgery substitute nor an opaque, paper bag) my head, cheeks and chins... I'd rather not look too matronly, but it also has to be age-appropriate.

Choices are:

A) Cut it!
B) Keep the faith and keep growing it out!
C) Seriously, Heather, there are way more important things to be carrying on about than your stupid hair! I mean, have you heard about the economy? The wars? Global warming?

If you vote A, any style suggestions (links to actual photos especially) would be greatly appreciated.

If you vote B, any style suggestions for the next interminable stretch of growing it out (links to actual photos especially) would be greatly appreciated.

And if you vote C, I know. I totally know.... And yet, I obsess. I moan, I stare at myself in the mirror, I try things, then I come here and I whinge on and on. It's my blog and I'll foist my follicle crisis upon the world via this post if I want to!

Stay tuned.... I will post After pictures tomorrow of whatever winds up happening atop my crazy noggin!

24 comments:

Unknown said...

ive got the kind of hair you want and i hate it. no one ever likes their hair. cute and short is good cause if you pick wrong it'll grow out quick and you can change it. if you feel you need a change, go for it. after all, spring is coming soon ... it'll be here before you know it!! i really liked the first pic...

Unknown said...

I also like one.

Here's my other choice.
http://z.hubpages.com/u/265229_f520.jpg

If you want it to last it's all about the product. Get something with FREEZE in the name. ;-)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

grr anyways the link is supposed to have a jpeg at the end

Teresa said...

i'll vote . . . . . A. Cut it, go pixie short with sass. maybe some wild combo of high and low lights . . .

Teresa said...

Oops, forgot the link, as requested:

http://images.smarter.com/blogs/pixie%20cut.jpg

WheresMyAngels said...

Your hair is alot like mine. I just always let them do what they think would look best. Cause I know they would know more than I would. Most times I am happy, but not always. But it does grow out, so no worries.

Jane In The Jungle said...

Cut, Cut, Cut!! Of course this comes from someone who changes styles as often as she does her undies!! But, go early at least 30 mins, grab a hair mag and start going threw it concentrating on the short cuts. Don't go for curl but you do have body so spikey would be cute. I like pic number 2 but not quite as short. Get used to it first and then go back for shorter! Messy is in, go messy!!Hope this helps!!

Paige said...

I say cute it short and make it spiky cute--I like the idea of some strong highlights too

Bridget said...

Heather, check out the bottom of my post for today to see what I think you should do with your hair!

http://bigeeesblog.blogspot.com/

My answer is "D" there is nothing more important than worrying about what you should do to your hair!

Maggie R said...

Oh Heather, You are so funny!!!!
If you can wear short,short hair.go for it.... I love the pics you posted.... Myself I need my hair to be long enough to curl...but i envy all my friends with short pixie like cuts....
No fuss no muss no bother!!! Will be anxious to see your new "Do";-}
I am a SITS welcome Wagoneer and I better go and finish my emails... Come visit me sometime...
oxox
((((hugs))))
Maggie
waving from cold,snowy,Southern Ontario, Canada

Carrie said...

Do you want to grow your hair out? If so, then tell your stylist you want to grow it out and ask for suggestions for a cut that will grow out easier than your current one. If you have a good stylist, they should be able to tell you what to do.

Sometimes the growing pains are worth it after a while. If you want to grow it out again, then you are just going to be in the same place six months from now.

[exit soap box]

I just finished a crappy phase of growing out my hair. I'm so happy I didn't chop it off again!! In about 3-4 months, I'll have my thuper-thweet Jethica Alba bob...

Unknown said...

I hate haircuts. Or better let me clarify I like getting haircuts but only in America. I tried once to get my hair cut here with a girl who spoke english and came recommended. I got hubby home early to watch the kids, drove 30 mins, went round and round to find parking and then had to pay for it only to find out she'd called out sick that day. So back to my everyday hair in the clip or ponytail.

(I'm breaking down and paying the however much it costs to visit the Disney Spa Salon while we are on our cruise, I really don't care, just get this hair outta here!)

I found a super cute pic of hair that turns out to be the "Jenny McCarthy" haircut everyone is getting. Seriously I didn't even know who the picture was of. The hair was just cute.

So no ideas for ya. Maybe Meg Ryan during her You've Got Mail days? I did that one once and it was cute. Easy to manage too.

Good luck!

kristin said...

Noooooooo! You've come this far, it can only get better. Have patience, otherwise you know you'll just start all over again in a few months.

Anonymous said...

I still say just shave it all off!

Anonymous said...

You already know my answer.

Long hair is a pain in the butt and WAYYYYY more work than the short cuts, AFAIC.

If you want some length keep it in the front, have your stylist texturize it and thin it out to help control it. Finally, let me just say that my flat iron is my BFF and I will never go without one again, and it doesn't mean I have to spend hours fussing. I never spend more than 10 minutes on my hair and that includes the blowing dry and flat ironing.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics.

Lesley said...

been there...so I can empathize...totally....I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide...and yeah to a fellow wagoneer.....

Ronnica said...

I'd go short and sassy! Though if you do decide to keep growing it out, you may want to try a straightener to get it to lay down.

Anonymous said...

I struggle with my hair too...I grew it out to all one length,.shoulder length...left it that way for a month or so and then chopped it back off....save yourself and your sanity and just get it cut. I do not have thick hair and it is wavy in the back in odd waves as yours is. I like the short look on your especially. I think with longer hair you will be unhappy with the amount of time it takes to get it to look like you want it to. Go with something that is shorter and can be somewhat dried bu still have a 'wet' look. I will hunt one or two out ...get some color to liven it up and think about getting body...maybe someday down the road to counter act the natural curl you already have. It worked for me. Not too much but just enough.

I do the same yo yo game with my hair. In about a year I will be growing it out again ....I JUST KNOW IT

Anonymous said...

OK so I found (your) photo one ...I think that is the look I would love to see on you...if I come across any others I will post.

Jen said...

I have tried and tried to grow my hair out but never could. I say cut it but that is just me.

~ a fellow welcome wagon SITSta saying hello.

Jennifer said...

Good luck w/ your new hair! I say play up the way it's naturally wavy--maybe adding some layers?

Good luck w/ your packing/moving too! Our "for sale" sign went up today and I feel SO stressed out!!

Anonymous said...

so where is the hair...gotta see the hair...

Elisabeth said...

I have no advice to offer you. To be clear--my hair ALSO does the weird curly, wavy thing in the back..and I have shortish hair as well. I have to dry it straight with a round brush, and then I am supposed to flat iron it. Yeah--I don't do that. So it is flat and usually very floopy.

I'd try to grow it out just a little bit longer, then go somewhere and trust an uber-great stylist do something fab with it.