Saturday, February 21, 2009

What's a sick mom gotta do to get some sympathy?

So, I've been sick. I think it may be the flu. It's miserable, whatever it is - a fever topping out in the 102 range, killer headache, body aches and nausea. Oh, the vomiting. So very, very NOT fun. Yesterday, I was a total disaster and collapsed in bed as soon as Hubby walked through the door at 5:30, leaving him to finish all the Kiddo nightly routine - bath, dinner and bedtime - and then to tackle our joint to-do list all on his own. Have I mentioned Hubby is totally my hero? But I digress......

Anyhow, earlier on, as I seemed to be recovering, Kiddo wrote me the following sweet and heartwarming note:



(Translation: Mom, I hope your cold feels better soon. I love you so much. I don't want you to get sick again please.) Awwwwww.

Alas, however, this level of sympathy did not last long. After days of ingesting nothing more than ginger ale and the occasional Tylenol (with varying levels of "remaining in the system long enough to work"), I went a little crazy today and ate a handful of saltines around noon. I quickly paid the price for such folly, spending the rest of the afternoon alternating between painting the primer coat on the walls of various closets, cleaning windows and racing to the upstairs bathroom to throw up. What was the next note I was handed?



(Translation: DO NOT throw up again PLEASE!)

Like I'm throwing up because I enjoy it so much. Sheesh. To make matters worse, as I'm in the bathroom retching, Kiddo is alternately trying to peer into the bowl over my shoulder and see what there is to see (which: Ew.) and then loudly proclaiming "THAT'S DISGUSTING! EW Mommy's BARFING and it is SO DISGUSTING!!" to me and the world at large.

Not fair. Let me tell you, I have wiped off/up and/or removed seriously nasty secretions from my beloved child, and never, in the throes of her moment of need, did I either proclaim DISGUSTING! or write her a chastising note. (Okay, maybe I said something to Hubby or my mom or sisters on the phone later, or even took to my blog to decry the foulness, but NEVER have I said anything remotely of that level of truth in the moment, while Kiddo was sick.)

No sympathy at all. Humph.

In other news, we're presently on schedule to have Paintathon '09 finished up (with the exception of a bit of trim work) by Monday night, despite my present condition and lack of stamina to wield a paint roller for any significant duration. This, again, is mainly due to Hubby the hero and his crazy late nights/early mornings of house-related work around his regular, full-time job, which is in a tough industry that makes his days a far cry from a picnic on the beach of late. We've got carpet dudes coming in this week so all our wall-to-wall will be spiffy and sparkly and fluffy, and we're meeting with the realtor again at the end of the week with a target date of March 2nd for listing the house. To which I say HOORAY! I may even celebrate by attempting to drink some chicken broth, now that I haven't barfed in almost six hours..........................

10 comments:

Unknown said...

aw, sending you much healing energy and happy thoughts :)...

Carrie said...

AH HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm dying over that 2nd note! SO friggen funny!!

I'm going to be laughing about that for a looooong time!

Carrie said...

Ooops, I was laughing so hard I forgot to tell you that I hope you feel better soon!

HA HA HAAAAAAAA HA HA

Holy crow, your kid is FUNNY!

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwww - those notes are so sweet!

I hope you get over the ickies soon and start feeling better.

WheresMyAngels said...

Your nuts to be doing anything like painting and such. Go back to bed and hire someone to do it!! lol

I love that second note!

Teresa said...

Huge generous hugs of sympathy (with no "EWs" attached!) Hope you're feeling better soon!

She is too funny for words!

Allegro ma non troppo said...

Oh boy, I've never been sick like that around my kids. I wonder how they'd react? I'm guessing their usual mix of "helpfulness" and honesty!

Get better!

nikkicrumpet said...

UGH my hubby and I took forever to get over that nast flu. I can't believe you are still painting and working...I was curled up in the fetal position crying like a little girl the whole time. YOU are amazing! And I hope you don't throw up anymore too! Funny notes!

Ash said...

The sooner you sell that house, the better.

Or have a seance - that place has got some serious bad health mojo!!

Hope you feel better!!

Brandy said...

Oh you poor thing! Not only are you sick but your are painting too?! I hate painting...and vomiting.

Your kid might not be sympathetic but she's right...I hope you get better and don't vomit AGUN.